WSET Level 2 Award in Wine £350
Wine and Spirit Education Trust courses provide globally recognised qualifications which are suitable for both wine industry professionals and wine enthusiasts. As a WSET Approved Programme Provider (APP) Lothian Wine School has been certified to offer this qualification as part of the UK's Qualifications and Credits Framework which is accredited by OfQual
Note: upcoming dates can be found at the bottom of this page
Who should consider studying for WSET Level 2?
1. The WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits (formerly known as the Intermediate Certificate) is intended as vocational training in product knowledge for those employed in the drinks industry who have little previous knowledge of the broad range of alcoholic beverages available. The qualification is suitable wherever a good level of product knowledge is required to underpin job skills and competencies.
2. The course is also appropriate for those not employed in the drinks industry who wish to study wine using a structured curriculum and formal assessment. Please note- you do not need to have completed WSET Level 1 in order register for Level 2. It is a natural progression for those who have attended the Lothian Wine School 8 Week World of Wine Course.
3. The course is an absolute must for anyone considering pursuing a career in the wine industry. Acheiving a good grade in this qualification provides the knowledge required for those wishing to progress on to the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines and Spirits (formerly known as the Advanced Certificate).
Not sure if this is the right level for you? Click on the book to view the Course Specification including sample exam questions.
- Wine Tasting: Taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching: A guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage: Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wines
- Labelling: Learn how to decode and understand labels
- Factors influencing the Style of Wine: Study the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine in the vineyard and winery
- Grape Varieties: Learn about the styles of wines produced by the key international and regionally important grape varieties
- Key White grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling. Other white varieties: Chenin Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Muscadet, Pinot Gris/Grigio, Semillon, Torrontés, Trebbiano and Verdicchio
- Key Black grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz. Other red varieties: Barbera, Carmenère, Gamay, Malbec, Montepulciano, Nebbiolo, Pinotage, Primitivo, Sangiovese, Tempranillo & Zinfandel
- Key Wine-Producing regions of the World: Learn about the main styles of wines from the key wine-producing regions. France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, USA, Argentina, Chile, Australia, New Zealand & South Africa
- Number of Wines Tasted: 28-35 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials: Students will receive a complete WSET Level 2 course study pack, comprising the course book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world 'Behind the Label'), a study guide (complete with maps, example questions, and forms for your own tasting notes) and laminated 'Systematic Approach To Tasting' card
- Course Specification: Although we will send you a link to the course specification as part of your study materials, we recommend you review it before registering for the course: Click Here to view specification.
- Duration of course: 21 hours, including 16 hours intensive teaching time and 1 hour examination, (one day a week for three weeks)
- Recommended Private Study: 12 hours additional private study is recommended for this course. It is strongly recommended that the majority of the private study is done in preparation for the course (you will be sent your study pack in advance of the course starting)
- Examination: 50 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 1 hour. A mark of 55% required to pass
- Certification: All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
Course Tutor: Justin Martindale
To enquire about future dates, please register your interest with us by emailing email@example.com
3 Day Course starting Sunday 3rd November 2019 This exciting and structured course is the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 2 Award and is intended as vocational training in
Places remaining: 9
Date/Time: 3rd Nov 2019 at 10am - 5pm
Venue: Crowne Plaza, Royal Terrace, EH7 5AQ