8-Week World of Wine Course
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Wine!
Our 'World of Wine Course' runs one evening per week for 8 weeks and is designed as a practical introduction to the world of wine. It is structured for people who enjoy wine and would like to learn more about it in a fun and relaxed environment. You need no previous experience – the emphasis is on learning by your own experience of tasting the different varieties of wine. It is also a great way to meet new friends who share your enjoyment of wine.
These tastings are also available to book as individual sessions, so you can dip in and out as you wish. You'll find them listed on our Single Evening Tastings page.
COURSE FEE STRUCTURE
The course fee is £175. As a way of spreading out the cost we ask for a £95 payment on booking, and then £10 in cash each evening. Great value - still less than £22 per evening and SAVING £25 off the price of 8 evenings booked seperately (or one night free)!
This 8-week Wine Course can also be purchased as a gift
WHAT WILL I GET FROM THIS COURSE?
By the end of the 8 evenings:
- You will have gained a good understanding of the world's major grape varieties and the wine styles they produce
- You will have been taught to assess and taste wine like a true professional, and be able to identify any faults found in wine (e.g. a corked wine)
- During the 8 evenings we will have tasted wines from most of the world's major wine regions (tasting over 50 wines)
- Food & wine matching will also have given you a lot of confidence to try new wine pairings with your favourite foods
- You will also have developed your sense of smell and wine vocabulary
Professional ISO tasting glasses, comprehensive tasting notes and some nibbles to help compare food groups with wine are provided
KEY FEATURES OF THE WORLD OF WINE COURSE
- Taste over 50 delicious wines in 8 weeks
- Retail prices of wines tasted will generally be between £5 and £30
- Discover where to obtain today's best value for money wines.
- Wine and food matching advice
- Common wine faults - how to spot them
- Storing and serving wine advice
- How to be a better wine shopper - where to buy your wines
- Taste the world’s major red grape varieties – Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Grenache and others
- Taste the world’s major white grape varieties – Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling, Semillon, Viognier, Pinot Grigio, Chenin Blanc and others
- Professional ISO tasting glasses, tasting notes and course notes are all provided
WHAT IF I HAVE TO MISS ANY EVENINGS?
No problem - Pick up the missed session on the next World of Wine Course, or get a credit you can use for any of our wine courses or wine tastings. Courses run throughout the year - more dates announced soon.
COURSE OUTLINE: WEEK BY WEEK
- Week 1: Introduction to Wine Tasting - How to taste wine like a professional, major grape varieties, aroma tests, writing tasting notes
- Week 2: France Part One - Bordeaux and the South, plus how to read French wine labels
- Week 3: Australia, New Zealand and South Africa - Principle wines plus blind tasting and wine brands
- Week 4: France Part Deux - Burgundy, Loire and the Rhone
- Week 5: Spain, Italy and Portugal - Classic wines and styles, plus how to pair wines with food
- Week 6: The Americas: USA, Chile and Argentina - Major wine styles & the 'Sideways' effect, and the importance of climate
- Week 7: Germany, Austria, Alsace and UK - Plus storing/serving wine and common wine faults
- Week 8: Champagne and Sparkling Wine
Tastings start at 7pm and run for approx 2 hours, finishing 9pm.
Each week we will examine how different grape varieties, different climates and local wine-making techniques impact on the aromas and flavours of the wine. Through practice and our guidance you will learn how to identify the wine's characteristics - we show you how to taste and appraise wine like a professional. We believe that the best aide to learning about wine is the process of tasting and comparing for yourself and that is exactly what you will have the chance to do in our relaxed and informal setting.
Join us on a 2-month jaunt across the globe as we visit a variety of wine-making countries, tasting everything from Chianti Classico to Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc as we go. If
Places remaining: 0
Date/Time: 24th Jan 2018 at 7pm - 9pm
Venue: Crowne Plaza, Royal Terrace, EH7 5AQ